Wearing and washing clothes is a part of life. Sure, we may hang our clothes to dry on a line from time to time, but I'm sure you would agree that most of us choose the modern-day dryer.
One of the most toxic things we do, on a regular basis, is use fabric softener or dryer sheets (we'll pick on laundry detergent another day).
Those perfume-laden (even fragrance-free) sheets and liquid are full of toxic chemicals.
These chemicals saturate the clothes we wear, which then gets on to our skin and absorbed into our body.
According to experts in this arena, these toxins contribute to dysfunction and disease of the nervous system.
Here are seven of the most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on our bodies:
1. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor on the US EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis.
6. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic.
7. Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapours causes central nervous system depression.
Studies have looked at what chemicals are “released” by laundry products, like dryer sheets, since manufacturers don't have to disclose the ingredients used in them. One study found more than 25 “volatile” air pollutants — including carcinogens, acetaldehyde and benzene. Another, found the fumes to cause irritation of eyes, nose, throat, and lungs.
It doesn’t have to be this way.
You don’t have to make your own products by hand and you don’t have to spend a fortune on natural products.
You don’t even have to eliminate using these items.
There are green and safe alternatives that are affordable and work!
Learn more about about our #LiveWellJourney and get the details for our next webinar.
I'm always here if you need me!
Text, call, email of connect with me in social media.